Thursday, July 9, 2009

Such a special boy!!

One of my passions, is my dogs, especially the dachshunds. They
mean alot to me not in only how I acquired them but their
personalities are so different, it amazes me.
Instead of starting with the weiney dog that began my love affair,
I'm going to work in reverse and write about each one and what
they have done for me.
Samson Davis better known as "Samsam" came to us at the age of 5.
He's a tweenie dapple which means that he's not a standard or
mini... he's the best of both those worlds and weighs in at a
whopping 16 lbs!! The dapple is his coat, he has the most beautiful
markings ever. Blacks, browns, tans, whites, dotted with small
circles of beige and streaks of silvery blue. His eyes are the deepest
brown yet if you look at him in certain light, they look very blue....
and his right pupil is nearly triple the size of the left. He's definitely a looker! :)
He was being fostered in a home in Tennessee and the lady that
brought him to me in Cinncinati was from New York and she is a
member of THE ALL AMERICAN DACHSHUND RESCUE which
headquarters in Tennessee. She had just returned from the annual
DACSHUND DERBY held in TN. and was nice enough to bring
Samsam several legs of the trip, to meet me....and begin his new
life in our home.
Samsam was originally from Ohio and no one really knows his
whole story just that his life was a nightmare up until that moment.
He was leary in meeting me, yet the first thing she said to me
about him is "this fella has a beautiful smile". I would have to wait
until the next day to get a glimpse of it though as he was so pooped
from the driving and then the additional 5 hrs to my home...he slept
the entire trip!!
Samsam was incredibly dirty and looked unkempt so the first
thing I did was give him a bath, he was loving that!! (no, really
he was!) He paraded around the room so very proud of himself.
I made a vet appt. to have him checked out more thoroughly and
that's when we found the puncture to his paw from a fight prior to
leaving his foster home, it was seeping and swollen....he was a
trooper when they worked on it, though! Then came checking
out his mouth....we found that he only had 4 teeth left and was
currently on antibiotics for having recent extractions....
the fact that his tongue hung out one side of his mouth about
80% of the time just added to his charm!! The thing that really
got to us was the severe scar on his back....it looked as if
someone had either burnt or branded him and it was so deep
that no hair grew back. He cringes when near any kind of heat
and hunkers to the floor if you go near him. I just held him and
cried!! Not a day goes by that I don't hold him and kiss his
boo-boo's and thank God I now have him. He has completed my home!
At first, I thought we may have bit off more than we could chew
with him, he was very aggressive, overly attached to any food and
his dish, that he would fight to get to it. He squared off
with the other dogs and was somewhat anti-social. Honestly,
I don't know the exact moment that I went from thinking,
oh my....what have we gotten ourselves into to the first
glimpse I got in seeing what a complete and utterly charming,
loving and friendly guy he really is. All I know is that my
husband said....honey, I think you're kind of ignoring Shorty
and spending all your time with Samsam, lately. It hit me that
I was under this guys spell, I was totally in love with him
and all his silly, quirky behaviors. He has got to be the
most comical dog that we have!!! And he is by far, the
most huggable, squeezeable, lovable snuggler I have ever
had....he absolutely loves to cuddle....his nickname is
Snuggle-Bunny ;) (don't ask where that name came from cuz
I haven't a clue!) I have a zillion names for him...he is
such a sweetie pie, so very loving and lovable. I am so blessed
to have been the one God chose to give him to!! I appreciate,
respect and love him and I only wish that I had known about
him sooner because he would have been here in a loving home
and I could have had more time with him.....I expect us to grow
old together from this point on, he is truelly a special boy,
very protective of me, he will sit with his back to me as if he's
guarding me, even when we sleep in bed, his nose is to the
bottom so he can watch for intruders!! But any chance he gets
to snuggle up and be loved on...he's all over it!! One morning
my husband had been involved in an accident and I started to
cry, Samsam hunkered up to me and whined such a low
moan as if he was crying too and stuck right with me all day!!
We have alittle thing where I can pull on his ear with my mouth
and he immediately turns around and kisses me....it's too adorable!!!
I honestly believe that even if an animal has a few weeks to live if
someone is kind and willing to open their home and give it all the
love they have...it can somewhat make up to them, the awful life
they've had until that point! I can honestly say that I do not
believe in breeding animals for sell but I will certainly spend the
money to adopt one from a shelter or rescue site. I believe the
rescues do wonderful work in saving the lives of animals and
they are very professional in their interviewing of perspective
homes and making sure the fit is a good one!
The next time that you think of getting an animal, please
take a minute to check out the ALL AMERICAN DACHSHUND
RESCUE because they have beautiful dogs of all sizes,
shapes and ages that surely one will be "just for you".
http://www.allamericandachshund.org/
It just bothers me that someone could be so mean to an
animal. That others would stand idly by and knowing that
this has occured and not tell the authorities!! I truelly feel
that if this is how they treat the defenseless than I hate to see
how they treat family, friends and it's doing no favor by not
turning them in!!!
Dachshunds are a blast to own, each has a unique
personality of their own and are such lovers!! Have a
good day and keep their site in mind!! *Gigi*

No comments:

Post a Comment

MOTHER'S DAY CANDY DISH

MOTHER'S DAY CANDY DISH
"my faux bubblegum machine"

Reflecting on the past

Reflecting on the past