Sunday, July 12, 2009

THE "ONE: THAT STARTED IT ALL

One day several years ago, my husband and I stopped in
at our local shelter with intentions of "just looking and
playing with the animals".
Husband wanted to show me a larger dog and while he
was cute and playful, would be way too large for our
home....AND we weren't there to get a dog, anyhow....
just to look!
As we were about to leave, he said...oh, hon, come and
look at this one....I saw him the other day when in here
and the poor thing looks bad! Peering in the crate, I
had no clue what type of dog I was even looking at, it
was so small, sadness and fear in its face.
I got him out and he immediately glued himself into
the crook of my neck and weakly clung as tight as
he could. I knew that second that we'd be taking him
home if only to foster him to better health.
At the desk we found out that his name was Jo-Jo and he
was a miniature dapple dachshund.....at about 4 lbs
instead of the 12 he should have been....it was hard to
tell that breed in his looks. I could see and feel every
single bone from his nose to his tail tip!! I cried nearly
every time I held him.
He was so afraid of everything, he didn't want to eat
as if he lost his will but I tried all I could and eventually
got him to eat from the floor, then my hand and last came
from a dish...he'd never had a dish before!! I think he was
raised with birds because he felt more comfortable
scrounging pieces off the floor.
The lady at the shelter told us that when he was
surrendered, the owners told them that they were
intentionally trying to starve him to death, they didn't
want him!! How can people be so mean....especially
after paying money for a breeded dog...treat him so
terribly....I have never seen any reason or action
that would cause them to harm him, he's a doll-baby,
such a beautiful, loving little spirit.
He was and still is terrified of our basement door, steps
and shakes fiercely when near any of them...as if he'd
been kicked down them before.
Slowly he came to trust me and grew in size, immediately
I knew he was to be mine and called the shelter a day later
and told them we were adopting him. He definitely needed
a name change....Jo-Jo was NOT for him, so, as I took him
out to potty...I'd catch myself saying, hey you lil Short guy
and he started to identify it with himself....so came the name
Shorty and as he grew, my husband began referring to him
as a man...."Shorty Man".
We believe he was living with an elderly man, woman or couple
because he absolutely HATES anyone with gray hair, especially
men!! He may be small but he can rip through skin like it's butter!
And he has several times when he's felt threatened...my husband
is afraid to clean his ears or clip his nails....with good reason, he
snapped him and brought blood....those little curved teeth can
do some damage! :)
We don't know his true age, we're guessing he's about 5 now,
maybe 1-2 when we got him? All I know is that he has stolen
my heart and that is all that matters to me!! We are inseparable!
He loves to snuggle between me and the cushions on the furniture
as if he's in a cave. He loves to play ball and gets obsessive-
compulsive when his toys are put up! He also loves to play hide
and seek....usually can find him in the hall-kitchen or bathroom.
He is a lover....he cannot fall asleep (me, either) unless he's licking
on my leg....it relaxes us both, I think :)
I can't imagine life without him, he is my heart and soul...such a
big and wise dog for so small of stature!!
He has issues with swelling, rashes and allergies. He gets
nervous and throws up from time to time. But, he has
been such an asset to my home...I brought him home to
save him and I think he has ended up saving me!! He has
given me a new cause to fight for.
One of his mostendearing traits is that he pulls himself
on his tummy, dragging his hind quarters as if he has a
boo-boo and as soon as you rub his back, he wiggles his
little booty from side to side. He also is a bow-legged
dachshund...but it just adds to his charm!! Unlike
Samsam, his dapple is strictly silver streaks and the rest
is black and tan. His chest is so huge, it nearly drags
the ground and it is completely smooth and free from
hair....yet, he is so very soft!
One of his many nicknames is Bubby (for baby buddy)
and yes...he was the weiney dog that started my love
affair with that breed....and brought me to find out
about the ALL AMERICAN DACHSHUND RESCUE
and many others across the United States. I don't have
any pictures of him in the early stages of his life in our
home (that may be a good thing considering how awful
he looked) but have several cutesy recent ones to share
with you. Take care and have an awesome day!! Gigi


No comments:

Post a Comment

MOTHER'S DAY CANDY DISH

MOTHER'S DAY CANDY DISH
"my faux bubblegum machine"

Reflecting on the past

Reflecting on the past